Updated: 07/07/18 | July 7th, 2018
Death is not the end for the residents of Père Lachaise in Paris. Their tombs and graves are gawked at every day by hundreds of camera-touting tourists seeking the cemetery’s famous and not-so-famous inhabitants.
The cemetery was built in 1804 as the city ran out of room for new graves within its limits and was named after Louis XIV’s confessor, Père François de la Chaise (1624–1709), who lived in a house near the cemetery land.
At the time, the locals considered the cemetery too far from the city. Père Lachaise only had 13 graves its first year.